Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Titanic

Year: 1997
Genre: Romantic Drama
Director: James Cameron
Screenwriter: James Cameron (again)
Starring: Leonardo DiCaprio & Kate Winslet

I know this movie is beloved by every Leonardo DiCaprio fangirl and everyone who swoons when Kate Winslet walks onto the screen, but I couldn't stand this movie for the life of me. With a running time of more than three hours, the movie dragged on far too long for any decent film. Two and a half hour maximum, Cameron! I let Lord of the Rings get away with it because, well, I'm biased. I, unfortunately, was dragged to this movie back when it was first realeased and was astonished when I heard a gaggle of teeny-boppers talking in the row ahead of me; "The boat doesn't sink, does it?" That was just.....nope, done ranting about that.

While the costumes were gorgeous (and won the Oscar quite deservedly), the plot was weak and the acting was sub par (not counting Kate). Billy Zane played the "outraged fiance" too easily (method acting?) and Frances Fisher (Rose's mother) filled the stereotype of the social-climbing mother. The special effects were good for the time, but looking back, nothing all too special.

Ask yourself this: without the "star" power of the boy-wonder that was Leo, would the movie have been as successful as it was? Do you think the movie needed to be as long as it was? Couldn't they have cut it down in post-production?